Monday, October 7, 2013

Memory Verse Monday: Psalm 20:7

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name Lord our God." Psalm 20:7 NIV

via Pinterest

Here are a few different versions of the same verse: 


  • "Some nations boast of armies and of weaponry, but our boast is in the Lord our God." - Psalm 20:7 TLB
  • "Some nations boast of their chariots and horses, but we boast in the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7 NLT
  • "Some trust in and boast of chariots and some of horses, but we will trust in and boast of the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7 AMP
  • "Some give the credit for victory to their chariots and soldiers, but we honor the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7 ERV
  • "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." Psalm 20:7  KJV

You might be thinking, "Chariots? Horses? What?" 

The emphasis of this verse is actually in the second part of verse. How is that for a cop out answer? Seriously though, put the emphasis in the second part of the verse. Let me teach you why...

Nowadays chariots aren't used much. The TLB version uses the words "armies" and "weaponry" instead of "chariots" and "horses", which makes it a bit more modern.

Try the words, "democrats" and "republicans" ~ Some trust in democrats and some in republicans, but we trust in the name Lord our God. <<<How is that for current events?>>> And I digress... 

via Dave Ramsey's Twitter & Facebook


Okay... getting back to my point (I think I have one) and this week's memory verse...

Try the words, "hard work" and "sacrifice". Or try the words, "their own strength" and "self-discipline". ~ Some trust in hard work and sacrifice, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.  Some trust in their own strength and some in self-discipline, but we trust in the name Lord our God. 

Some trust in degrees... some trust in money... some trust is their spouse... some trust in alcohol... some trust in good deeds.... some trust in their church.....

The point to this verse (in my opinion):
 the Lord our God, is alone worthy of your life and your trust. You can trust your life to God and God alone. 

I suppose that's one of the many reasons why He is the "I am" (Exodus 3:14).

"Dear Lord, Of course I want to trust the big things to you. But I also want to trust the little things to you and everything in between. I love you. Amen."

God is Love (and worthy of your trust),
Vanessa 

PS. I don't usually recommend switching out words in the Bible for random words. In fact, never do that. Bad idea. But for purposes of getting the verse's point across I did just that. And since it's my own blog I can do that. < insert giggles here> 

PSS. Can you recite last week's memory verse, John 15:5, without cheating? If so, that's so great! If not, here's the link to the verse for a refresher. Blessings!    

No comments:

Post a Comment