Monday, June 18, 2012

The Gift of Surrogate Family & A Memory Verse a Week for the Weak: James 1:17, Matthew 7:11




Recently it was brought to my attention that I have a pile of "surrogate mothers".


In thinking about this, I realized that I have surrogate everything; mothers, fathers, grandmothers, grandfathers, brothers, sisters, aunts... the list goes on and on.


One of my surrogate grandmothers.



My surrogate mother/prayer warrior/big sister

My surrogate everything.

My other surrogate everything.


A couple of my surrogate grandparents.
My surrogate much much much older annoying brother. ;)



One of my surrogate sisters... mainly because she knows too much! ;)




My surrogate nephew at his first birthday party.
My surrogate little sisters. Who I am so very proud of.
I didn't think it was possible to have surrogate best friends, but I now know other wise, since I'm now either states or continents away from my friends...

My surrogate best friends, and body guards, and snuggle buddies, and children.... and the list goes on....
Google defines "surrogate" as follows:
  • 1. someone who takes the place of another person

  • 2. foster: providing or receiving nurture or parental care though not related by blood or legal ties; "foster parent"; "foster child"; "foster home"; "surrogate father"

  • 3. deputy: a person appointed to represent or act on behalf of others

I'd like to define surrogate a bit differently:
A human being(s) that has been placed in ones life as a gift from God, for either a short or extended period of time for reasons to be determined by God. 
The people I mentioned above (or anyone else for that matter) could never take the place of my biological family etc, because they are irreplaceable.  And frankly, I don't want to replace them, God gave me them too.  God in his ultimate wisdom, can even enable biological family members to be "surrogates" too... For example, my Aunt Jeanie has been like a mom, or best friend, or spiritual leader in different seasons of my life. My grandma is so much more than just my grandma. Hopefully you're getting the idea here. 


There are not words to express how blessed I am with the many "surrogate gifts" my Heavenly father has given me... actually maybe there are some words... Two Bible verses come to mind (finally this week's memory verses):



Matthew 7:11

The Message (MSG)
 7-11"Don't bargain with God. Be direct. Ask for what you need. This isn't a cat-and-mouse, hide-and-seek game we're in. If your child asks for bread, do you trick him with sawdust? If he asks for fish, do you scare him with a live snake on his plate? As bad as you are, you wouldn't think of such a thing. You're at least decent to your own children. So don't you think the God who conceived you in love will be even better?


James 1:17

Today's New International Version (TNIV)
17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.



It's late here in E.S.T. land, and I kinda feel like I'm not making much sense, but hopefully you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

Am I making sense? Do you have  "surrogate gifts"?

God is love, 
and the King of good gifts,
Vanessa







No comments:

Post a Comment