Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thoughts, Floods, & Promises

Do you ever think? Of course you do. 

I mean do you ever just think? How about for long stretches of time? Well, this thinking-thing is a hobby of mine and has been for as long as I can remember.

my best thinking face 

Sometimes to make this hobby more interesting I'll ask others,  "What are you thinking?"
I am and always will be completely mystified at anyone who responds with a simple "Nothing." 

Actually chances are good that I won't believe you if that's your answer.

Ryan (that's short for "my superhero husband") is well acquainted with this hobby of mine so he no longer ever says, "Nothing." when I ask, "What are you thinking?"

Here's an example from the other night:
Me:"What are you thinking?"
Ry: ________________________ (you can pretty much fill in the blank with whatever husbands say to make their wives blush).

Every once in a while Ry will throw a proverbial curve ball... the other night he asked,"Do you ever think about _______________?" (I actually can't remember exactly what he said)
Me:"No." My quick blunt answer was unsuspected.
Me: "Do you ever think about how we are going to decorate a nursery someday?" (No I'm not pregnant, no I don't know when we are going to have kids. Yes everyone I know and their dog are having kids and yes perhaps I frequent Pinterest so perhaps that's why I was thinking about such things...)
Ry: (equally as quick and blunt) "No."



Its night as I write this; I can't sleep. And I'm thinking about that conversation and Noah's Ark, because that's what I imagined I'd decorate a nursery with. Notice the past tense .... I've been reading about Noah in the Bible, and in this book called, Patriarchs and Prophets. Sure I've read it before but I'm just realizing, it's not the happy story one sees plastered in a nursery.

The other day the county that I live in had flood warnings, due to days and days of heavy HEAVY rain. Flood warnings aren't a pleasant thought either.

The good in Noah's story is the same good that is found in my story (and coincidentally your story) and that good is in God's promises.
They're so functional, those promises are, that I suppose they're worth plastering all over a nursery. God's promises are also something to fill your thoughts with.... 

Here's some verses worth thinking about:
Phillipians 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Genesis 9:12-14 "And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds,  I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life.  Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” 

Deuteronomy 6:5-9 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates."

It's time for my scattered thoughts to come to a close... but before they do, may I just remind you that God has a proverbial rainbow for you, no matter the storm you're facing... God and I promise you that!

God is love,
Vanessa 

No comments:

Post a Comment