Monday, October 14, 2013

Memory Verse Monday: Matthew 22::37-38

"Jesus replied: '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment.'" - Matthew 22:37-38


Join me while I get philosophical for a few.
What is love anyway? 

What does it look like?  Does it have a certain smell? Can you feel it? What does it sound like? Have you ever tasted love?


If love looks like anything, then love has an infinite amount of looks.

If love smells like anything, then the possibilities of smells are limitless.

If love is a certain touch then I suppose love could feel like at least a billion times a billion things.

If love sounds like any one thing than it would have to sound like an endless amount of other sounds.

Can love taste like one thing... who decides... therefore the possibilities are endless for taste too.

Go ahead... try to define love, I dare you. Describe it. Illustrate love. 

What does God look like? Does God have a certain smell? Have you ever felt God? What does God sound like? Have you ever tasted God?

Go ahead... try to define God. Describe Him. Illustrate God.

“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Revelation 1:8

The Bible describes love like this:  Corinthians 13:4-7, NKJV. "Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things "

Couldn't God be described the same way? 

My favorite Bible verse says that "God is love"... 1 John 4:7-12, NKJV:  "Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us."

So I must ask, can you have one without the other? I seriously want to know how one can "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" without God being involved in the love? (Matthew 22:37-38)

"Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for creating each of us in such a way that we are capable of love (You). These words seem so insignificant at times, but I mean them when I say... I love you. Because of Jesus I can pray! Amen!!!" 

"Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment." Matthew 22:37-38

God is love and Love is God,
Vanessa


PSS. Philosophy, not my favorite college class. :)

1 comment:

  1. Soooo....I'm not sure where in your philosophy this fits in, but I've thought about God and Love a lot lately. After having Mason, I've experienced an all consuming, over-powering, truly unconditional love. And it blows my mind that I can love something THIS much. And it makes me realized that my parents love me THIS much, and makes me love them even more. And in that, understanding that relationship is a reflection of our relationship with God, and trying to understand that He loves me even MORE than I love my son, or my parents love me. Like....a LOT more. And it blows my mind, because how can anyone love anything as much as I love my son?? It's pretty cool....and completely overwhelming all at once.

    Kaila

    ReplyDelete