Wednesday, July 4, 2012

What I Learned from a Soldier's Girl


For the first time in my life, I have a real spare bedroom with a real bed (not a couch, or air mattress) to offer visiting guests. I decided to decorate the room in a patriotic theme... you know, the good ol' red white and blue. The room has more blues than anything, but the reds and whites definitely make their presence too. I was inspired to do this to my spare bedroom by a picture I saw in a home decorating magazine, which showed a picture of a room that's focal point was a flag on the wall. I immediately thought "Hey, I can do that! I have a flag! I gotta use what I have..." One small problem though.... their flag was perfectly proportionate to their space.... my flag is very disproportionate


Then DaySpring sent me a flag that is the perfect size and a matching pillow from their Glory Collection that arrived just in time for my first overnight guest. As God would have it, my first guest is a dear friend who's man is an Army guy. My patriotic room took on a whole new meaning with her presence.



They're a young couple and crazy in love. My friend is glowing of love. Memories of when I was her age, and crazy in love, flooded my brain often during our short time together. Times when I wanted to spend every second of every day with my man... and did as much as possible.

My friend and I are both separated from our Superheros, for a time, by a significant amount of miles. However, we're separated for very different reasons; her man is gone living a soldier's life. It's hard for me to wrap my mind around that they are separated from each other so that I, and other Americans can have our freedoms. 

I have sincere respect for soldiers. Our grandpas were soldiers in World War II. And I know that time in their lives changed them forever.



 I've also known other soldiers or soldier's wives during the course of my 27 years. But listening to my friend and what her soldier is enduring really hit a nerve. I've watched my friend (more like little sister) grow from a little girl to a mature, beautiful woman; and her love for her man is strong... I think this is why the seriousness of what soldiers go through really sunk in. 

 You know what my friend does about this said seriousness?

She, in her own captivating way.... Stays calm and prays on. 

"Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is right, what is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praise-worth - think about such things." Phillippians 4:5-8

"Thank you Lord for blessing me with my friend who served as reminder of the huge cost of freedom. Thank you also for the reminder of young crazy love. May I live my life each day never forgetting either. Thank you Lord for blessing America and every other country that invites you to do so. I love you. Because of Jesus I can pray. Amen."

Have a FUN and safe 4th y'all!!!! :)
God is love and the ultimate source of freedom,
Vanessa

4 comments:

  1. babe that rocked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you husband of mine! Miss you! Love you more!

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh this gave me goosebumps! What a gorgeous room. God really thinks of all of the details, doesn't he? Praying for you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers! Is there anything I can pray about for you? Blessings!

      Delete